In 1794, French refugees settled at High Falls (now Lyons Falls), where the Moose and Black rivers meet to crash over rocks seventy feet high.  These were Royalists who fled France because of the Revolution.  The harsh, cold climate and isolation were too much for the pampered aristocrats accustomed to the mild weather of France, and they soon left.

Mission Statement

Lyons Falls is a thriving, historic, four-season village located at the confluence of the Black and Moose rivers.  Opportunities for employment and education in this friendly, vibrant community encourage members of every generation to make this village their home.  The village’s many assets, including varied infrastructure, support a sustainable, diverse economy.  The easy-going rural setting co-exists with adventure tourism and family oriented activities.



The first permanent settlement in the region of Lyons Falls was Lyonsdale, founded by Caleb Lyon.  He settled in Lyonsdale in 1823, where he built a bridge in 1829 and a grist mill in 1830. He was elected to the New York Assembly in 1824, where he initiated the project to construct the Black River Canal connecting Lyons Falls to the Erie Canal at Rome.   (Taken from the “History of Lyons Falls” by Clarence L. Fisher.)


three way bridgeHistory Association is Formed

In May of 2005, an interested group of people decided to form a history club to organize and preserve the past of the Village and surrounding area.  Within five years, the Lyons Falls History Association was organized and chartered by the New York State Education Department and became non-profit.  A room was acquired in the back of the Falls Pharmacy and turned into a small museum.  It complements a pharmacy museum in the adjoining hall.  Pictures and materials are constantly being scanned and turned into DVDs of the villages around Lyons Falls.  Notebooks are categorized by subjects and pictures and clippings put in them.  There is also a large selection of local history books.  The Association meets several times a year and in the summer takes field trips to local historic sites.  The museum is open by appointment and every Tuesday during the summer from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

-Excerpt from Lyons Falls History Association at http://www.lyonsfallshistory.org


Our Village is Special

Besides offering local attractions such as dining locations, lodging, historical sites, parks, and a variety of recreational activities, the village also offers residents and visitors a beautiful view of its 70-foot waterfall.


Fun Facts about the Village of Lyons Falls

Lyons Falls had a three-way bridge from 1849-1964. When it was built, the Three-Way Bridge  connected the Greig Road, Laura Street, and Franklin Street. The original wooden bridge was refurbished in 1916 and turned into a steel bridge.  The Three-Way Bridge at Lyons Falls was the only bridge of its kind in the United States.   In 1964, it was torn down and separate bridges were built over the Black River and Moose River. (cr. Lyons Falls History Association).
The Black River is one of the few rivers in the world that defies the idea that rivers flow in a southward direction; like the Nile River of Africa, the Black River flows to the north.